Thursday, December 1, 2022

A Moving Movember to Remember

 As a lot of my facebook friends know, I just finished up a run in the Movember fundraiser to help bring in funds for men's mental health, prostate cancer and testicular cancer.  I thought about doing it for months ahead, debating with myself whether or not it was a good idea.  My big fear was, "what if nobody wants to donate?"  I didn't want to look like a fool partaking in a task like this, only to make myself look like a fool.  Hey, I have mental health issues myself!  So the inherent risk there was plenty enough for me to take pause.

I knew that if I joined in on Movember, I'd have to shave the beard and re-grow a moustache.  That's the easy part... if you forget that my facial hair takes a pretty friggin' long time to grow.  The other part of the challenge, for those who wish to partake, is to pledge to run or walk 60 kilometres within the month of November to drum up support to raise money for the movement.  "Eehhhh..." I thought to myself in a bit of a Bugs Bunny voice... "I can try that, doc."  I'm a regular gym goer (no body builder or anything either, I just like to go to encourage my wife - and the added benefit that it makes me feel good), and I don't have a Fitbit or any other fitness tracker thing, and never will.  I hate being tethered to technology.  I very rarely even have my cell phone with me and interact on social media at the end of the day on my laptop.  So, I opted to take pictures with my wife's phone of my progress in distance on the treadmill every time I would start to rack up the km's, and pledged to do it almost every day.

That turned out to be quite the endeavour.  Because I wanted to post on my Movember facebook page every day what my progress was and keep any would-be donors informed of my progress.  I'd be at the gym for anywhere from 2 to 3 1/2 hours nearly every day, doing weight routines and using the cardio portion of my workouts for distance accumulation in the fundraiser.  I became a little obsessed with it actually, perhaps even overdoing it some days, to the point where I was acquiring some pretty painful sores and blisters as a result of my efforts.  I did some research and commentary daily about prostate and testicular cancer as well as mental health disorders to try to bring more awareness to the issues I was trying to raise money for.  Plus I wanted to post a daily picture for folks to see the progressive growth of my moustache.  I didn't smile a lot in those pictures, because I'm one of those people that just doesn't like smiling in photos.  There are a lot of us like that.  People like us are self-conscious of our smiles because it makes us uncomfortable and uneasy to expose our less-than-perfect choppers.  That's just how it is; if you're chronically mentally ill, it's a bit harder.  Smiling with the lips is usually the best you'll get out of us.

Doing this every day was at times exhausting and even trying, but certainly worth it in the end.  If I was going to do it, it would be with both feet, pun intended.  I don't like doing anything half-assed, or else why bother?  I wasn't going to ask someone to sponsor my efforts if I wasn't going to care about it myself.  Ultimately, I wound up running/walking over 200 kilometres, not really setting a goal in that department, but I even shocked myself when I got that far.  The reason I did, particularly, was because of the ongoing support from each donor that backed me up.  Every donation I got put more fuel in my tank, and I just kept going and going.  

But one thing I was sure about when I did my daily summaries of my treks was to tell every donor that I'm running on behalf of them.  This was OUR journey, not just mine.  When a donor joined in, they were part of my team, not just someone who chipped in money, and I would be nothing without my team.  We were doing this together.  And I saw it as my obligation to do them as proud as they did me.  To see people join in the way they did was very heartwarming to me - it's one of those times in my life that will always stand out.

Another thing I pledged to do when it was all over was to write this blog entry, thanking each and every individual donor.  Every one of them kept me going!  It was the least I could do and I'm holding up my end of that bargain.  Gleefully!

Let me get started on that task, in no particular order.  They are ALL champions:

Tim Churchill - If there's truly a brother from another mother, Tim sure fits that bill for me.  We've known each other all the way back to my days at West Lane Green Gables in the mid 80s, and boy, the two of us together were a handful!  I don't want to mention dollar amounts of each donor, because every one who pitched in are all equals in their support.  I do, however, have to mention that my man Tim blew the doors off my initial goal before I even publicly announced I was doing it!  This guy always has my back.  He's one of the most generous and caring people I've ever known, or will know, and this gesture of his made my heart smile a mile wide.  It was like getting a head start in a marathon before it even starts.  Thank you, Tim, my awesome friend.  You keep doing things for me I can't hope to ever repay you for.  The graceful thing about that is, you know that.  I love you like my own brothers, and I'll always be grateful for everything you've ever done in my life - and you've done a LOT!  You're an amazing, thoughtful man to everyone who knows you, and I'm proud to be on your list of friends!

Chris Cook - A nephew of mine, and another guy who's always had my back.  Actually, that's going to wind up sounding redundant, because pretty much everyone on this list has my back.  And Chris really stepped up when I announced I was doing this.  Chris and his brother Shawn were little buddies of mine back in the day when we were growing up, I'm only seven and nine years older than them, so I saw them as little brothers that I never had, where I'm the baby of seven siblings.  I'm enormously proud of Chris for how far he's gone in life.  Talk about a driven man!  His dad, my brother Roy, did a wonderful job raising these guys.  I know how proud he is, and it's warranted.  Really, I wish I could have been as good a guy to him as he has been to me, but that's a real friggin' tall order.  It's a standard that's hard to match.  Chris, my good friend/nephew/brother, I'm proud to be your uncle, and I'm so gratified and what you've done in my fundraiser here!  

Shawn Cook - Might as well keep Roy and the kids together on this!  Shawn is the younger brother of Chris, and those two guys are the epitome of what two siblings should be.  Back in the day, a lot of people used to say that Shawn was a carbon copy of me when I was younger.  In a lot of those older pictures, I can see that, but he's really grown into a vibrant, intelligent, driven man like his brother.  I remember way back when we were kids, I was a huge KISS freak - still am, really - and I wound up making these two bros of mine big lifelong fans as well.  I have great memories of us three digging into KISS fandom!  Both those guys have the same huge hearts.  Honestly, I don't know why Shawn and his brother took such a liking to me, because I just don't measure up to either of them in any way, but I'm flattered and beyond grateful for them both.  Shawn, my man, my other good friend/nephew/brother, you have to know I appreciate you more than I can say, and I thank you for your support, as always!

Roy Cook - The father of Chris and Shawn, and my Best Man when Janice and me renewed our wedding vows in the Catholic Church.  The second in command in the Cook family, and one of my go-to's for advice on countless subjects for his wisdom.  When I was very young, when my Dad was ill with alcoholism, Roy often brought me to his house to hang with Chris and Shawn when Dad hit the bottle a little too hard.  I have wonderful memories of being with Roy at the old Brunswick Downs racetrack on Saturday nights with the other brothers of mine, it was fun for me just to watch the horses race with my brothers.  I was always in his line of sight if anything went wrong, and he'd be there to prop me up if I needed him.  He also did that with this fundraiser.  As the years go by, too quickly I might add, he keeps getting wiser and more understanding like every human should, but certainly not all of us do, but he sets an example.  I appreciate your support, Roy, in this fundraiser and in life.  I love you, brother!

Kim Melanson - A friend of mine for the last 36 years (!), Kim came into my life at a time when things were at their darkest for me up to that point.  We dated for a short time before we became friends and never looked back.  She's been kind to me endlessly in a lot of ways, and this would be no different, when she contributed to my fundraiser here.  She's one of those give-you-the-shirt-off-her-back types and has genuine concern for those close to her experiencing adversity, as is exemplified here!  It's actually pretty wild now that I think of it, that we've watched each other grow through the decades from young adults to where we are now.  I appreciate your kindness through the years, Kim, and I'm glad you endured my own mental illness challenges that strained other relationships of mine through time.  Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness here!  

Cynthia Mayo - My dear sister and second last sibling to leave 136 (I was the last), God knows the torture I inflicted on her as a kid!  Not unlike a lot of large families, add to that how small our house was, housing up to nine of us.  I take responsibility for testing her back in the day and being a little shit disturber, dealing with me in the early stages of my own mental health crisis.  None of us really put it together how 'off' I was as to the reasons why, as clear as it is now.  I wanted to explain that, because we ultimately grew closer over the years, and she's watched out for me, the way siblings always do.  This is no different - stepping up to support me in donating.  Her and her husband George are better than average folks in the generosity department, as I know they're always, always doing something for someone.  Today, she helps give me perspective in many matters in life, and I'm extremely fortunate.  Thank you so much, Cindy, for backing me up yet again!  I love you, my dear sister.

Trevor Goodwin
- The husband of my niece Alycia, my brother Pete's daughter, this guy works tirelessly for the downtrodden.  You might see him in the news from time to time, as he's fighting for the benefit and the rights of the poor and the homeless, and he seems very reluctant to bathe in the limelight in recognition of it.  That's not going to stop me from singing the praises of him, though.  I really admire what this guy does.  He's as super kind as I'm making him sound, too.  Donating to my Movember cause is a big deal to me from a guy like him, and I'll always be full of gratitude for this wonderful gesture.  Thanks so much, Trevor, and I'm really happy to know my niece has such a great partner in life.  You're a rock solid guy that the world needs so much more of.... Seriously!

Alan and Lisa Cormier - Friends of mine for decades, and never out of sight.  I can't say enough about these two.  Back in my band days in the 80s, very often they would be around to see us jamming and supporting our efforts, encouraging us even when at times we weren't always that good.  Al is a marvelously benevolent guy, always on the lookout for anyone around him.  If you ever ate at Hines' Restaurant, there's a good chance Al's the one who prepared your meal.  Lisa was there too at one point at least.  She's kind of the gatekeeper of that circle of friends of ours, rallying us all to support any one of us who's ever in any kind of distress or trouble.  How noble is that??  I've always admired her for her caring, protective demeanour, as it benefited everyone around her, even beyond that.  I know these two are strong, loving, caring people for a number of other reasons that make this whole world a better place, including my own.  I'm beyond grateful and happy to have them in my life, and admire the constantly selfless nature of their deeds, including supporting me here.  Lisa, Al, you two have my utmost respect and admiration, and gratitude, always!

Kelly Mockler Verriere - Kelly goes back a long time with Janice and me, when we met her when Tim and her were an item back in the 90s.  Of course, we're all still great friends to this day.  Kelly is special here in the sense that her husband is fighting off a recurrence of prostate cancer, which ironically came to the surface just when I started this fundraiser, so it touches her especially close to home.  Her man, Jean Marc, is a kind, sweet guy who'd never hurt a fly - might actually even save it! - and he's been on my mind every time I hit the gym to rack up the kilometres for the fundraiser.  No doubt Kelly knows we all have his back with his battle, and thankfully, his doctors believe they have the upper hand.  Kelly deserves any help she ever needs because that's all she ever does is help others, selflessly.  If you know her, it's a given that any time you're around her, you'll always walk away smiling and feeling enriched that she's in your life.  Thank you for supporting the cause, Kelly - much, much, much love to you and JM!  I don't doubt the next Christmas season will be better!  

Matt Cook - My brother Greg's son, who's inherited his dad's heart of gold.  Matt's always had an eye out for me, and like Chris and Shawn, I can't really understand why, because I just don't feel like I deserve it.  He's done way more for me than I have for him.  But that doesn't seem to matter to him, he's just one of those kind, bonafide, unflappable people that only wants the best for those around him, even beyond that.  And the guy's brilliant!  Just like all my nephews and nieces.  Matt steps up to the plate on anyone's behalf, when they need it, and my wish for him is that he gets at least as much as he gives.  I'm awfully proud to have you as a nephew, Matt.  I really feel like I come up short as an uncle, being somewhat detached from the family through the years of fighting my own health issues, but you have to know, my good man, that I respect and love you and only want the best for you.  Thank you so much for recognizing my efforts in this fundraiser and donating!

Jana Veltheim Cook - The wife of nephew Chris also donated separately, a sweet and thoughtful gesture that's one of those above-and-beyond kind of things.  I actually never got to be around her for as much as I would've liked, but there's still the future ahead of us.  Whenever the family does get together and we talk, we always have lots to chat about through our common interests (she recommended 'Game of Thrones' and 'The Handmaid's Tale' to us, two all-time great shows), and I even got exercise advice from her, where she's an expert in that field.  It seems she didn't even pause in contributing to my Movember, not realizing Chris already did!  That's a remarkable note on her generosity and thoughtfulness, and the fact that this is a cause to support men's health is especially telling of how big her heart is.  You have to know, Jana, I was deeply touched by this wonderful gesture of yours, and I thank you so much for it!

Rick Cook - The brother and sibling I consider the conscience of the Cooks.  Rick is unwavering in his patience, love and support for anyone connected to him, especially when it comes to family.  In fact, I'd almost wonder if he has a sixth sense which he can detect when somebody needs help with something.  He's helped me with everything throughout my whole life, from bailing me out of my lemon car troubles (countless!), bringing me places when I was a kid in his big red Plymouth, celebrating whatever occasion there might be cause for, and really just being a supporting, loving brother.  I got my driver's license because of Rick.  He gives and he gives and never looks for anything in return.  His support for my fundraiser is no different - every time I posted an update, I know he saw it, and he's always encouraging me.  What makes this especially remarkable is that Rick's had more than his share of hard luck in life, but never ever hesitated in helping someone else in need.  He has my Dad's handsome looks (dead ringer actually!) and my Mom's giant heart (again... dead ringer!).  Boy, am I lucky to have him as a brother.  Rick, I love you and thank you for helping out in my fundraiser and for all of your support... for everything!

Greg Cook - I would have to think that if there were pictures in the dictionary beside words to help describe them, my brother Greg's would be there beside the word "generous".  Whenever I'm around Greg, all there is in the air is this feeling of welcome-ness, love and understanding.  As a kid, once my Dad passed, all of my brothers stepped up and each played 'Dad' in their own way, and Greg's efforts here are prominent.  He'd bring me bowling a lot, take me out on trips, bring me to his place, go to see horseraces with the rest of my brothers, and always was looking for ways to make sure everyone was having fun and felt happy.  I'm a drummer because of Greg, he bought me my first drumset.  When Janice and me got married, we went to Montreal to see KISS and he let us take his brand new van - who does that??  I wasn't always the best of brothers to him, though, and that brings me to proclaim how forgiving he is.  Like, excessively forgiving, if there is such a thing.  He'll do whatever it takes to make somebody happy, even if it means he winds up with less.  Making people feel good seems like a mission in life of his, and nobody's better at it than him!  I'm so grateful to have your support and generosity in this fundraiser, Greg, and I'm beyond happy I have a brother like you with a heart as big as the sun.  I love you, brother!

Kim LeBlanc
- Kim's a friend and co-worker of Janice and Alexandra's, and a friend of mine too, I just don't get to work with her like the other ladies do.  Janice's post office at SDM is staffed by a grand total of three people... Janice, Lexy and Kim.  If you ask me, that's a lot of undue pressure for three people to work that department, especially where Kim works only one shift there and the rest at the store front.  But Kim is invaluable to them in that with her learning to work in the post office kiosk, NOT an easy task, it provides my wife and daughter with that much needed breather.  So I'm very grateful to her for that.  And despite barely even knowing me, she insisted on supporting my Movember cause by chipping in to raise the total.  That's thoughtfulness at its best, and Kim, I appreciate it so much!  Thank you!

Peter Cook - The King of the Cooks.  He being the eldest of us, he's also arguably the wisest, and I use that fact to try to gain knowledge to get me through life sometimes.  Or a lot, actually.  I can remember as far back as I think the late 60's, Pete had left the house to pursue life in Ontario, planting roots there and making a pretty good living for himself.  Other siblings would wind up relocating to Ontario after that.  When Pete would come home to visit at Christmas time, or for summer vacation, he'd bring me this jar of pennies that I thought was a king's ransom as a four or five year old, and I remember how important I'd feel!  I have memories of driving with him in his Toyota Celica that he kept in amazing like-new condition, bringing me to his place in Ontario in it for road trips that makes for a lifetime of memories for a kid.  Talking to Pete was always invaluable to me, as I'd always take his advice and put it to good use.  Something I really enjoy with Pete, is talking about music and movies with him, because I can't really strike that conversation up with a whole lot of people like I do with him.  Pete always, always had my best interests at heart and is always showing me the way.  Participating in this fundraiser was no different!  I love you, my good brother, and I thank you for helping in my Movember, and for being in my life!

Kim Roberts-Landry - This lady is another friend and co-worker of Janice's, who got wind of my fundraiser rather late, I guess, and wanted in on The Team.  Hey, there's always room!  Kim gets a lot of due credit at SDM for her friendly banter with customers and willingness to do what it takes to please people.  She's basically the de-facto ringleader of the staff there, ready to stand up for anyone who's having a rough go of things and make the load lighter.  She's got quite a hearty laugh with a smile to match that makes everyone feel welcome, whether you've known her for ten years or ten seconds.  I appreciate very much your thoughtfulness in doing this, Kim, and thank you so much!

That wraps it up for my donors - I did have two people attempt to make a donation that couldn't that I want to mention:  Heather Fallon, whose husband, Mike, dealt with prostate cancer himself, and who I thought about a lot as well through this thing; and also Ginnie Madden, a woman I've been friends with since I worked at the corner store while I wrote to pen pals through rock magazines, along with her friend Juanita.  I appreciate that you ladies made the effort, and it did not go unappreciated or unnoticed!

This pretty much seals the deal for Movember.  Thank you all who participated with me, supported me in any way, donated, everything.  The more people that joined in, the more it warmed my heart, and I'm so grateful you stood up for men's health.  I take it very personally!

I hope you all have a great, happy, safe and blessed holiday season.  And remember... you are ALL heroes to me!




1 comment:

  1. You are most welcome and deserving sir. This was an awesome initiative by you and am super proud of you for tackling it head on!

    ReplyDelete